Rollo Kim Reporting

Rollo Kim, InvestigaSituationistal Journalist

Tuesday, May 15, 2001




Seriously, are you one of
Jay's Kids?


Music

a very depressing half hour last night strolling through the sites of bands from the Brum scene days - they're all either split-up or boring. Shit... However....

"SDC were not out to make friends or profits." The Lab [updated!]


I've knocked up a remix of a Nubia loop - a kind of 'nubia versus memeplex' thing, I've just put some singing on it and Ade's working on the bass. I like this idea of 'guesting' on a track - working on source material I didn't create - good impetus.

Heard a sneak preview of the first Compsey Tribunal EP - even the packaging is very THEM - it's very, very different to anything they've done before - a bit lo-fi, with lots of spikey guitars and seedy beats.
It sounds more like Richard's Halon 1301 than anything else.

Still trawling through the SDC tape set - mostly routing out jems for working up new stuff.

well, the main thing at the moment is working on the MeMePlex PriMe material using hard disc recording. I've been lucky enough to con Ade and Lee into working with me again so I hope that we'll get Ade back on bass and decks.

This is, I hope, a good balance between the SDC groove, atmospherics and bass, and the Odeama new-wavery strum and hiss... Check the MP3's or get the free CD.

First off - I don't want to set up a label - I'm really pleased that TAR is happening but I can't do that - and I don't see why I should tread on their toes. But I want this stuff heard.

I reckon I can divide everything I've been working on over the last twelve months into three sets: there's the real drums stuff that sounds more like 60's spy themes than anything else; there's the MeMeplex stuff which is like a meaty SDC with a hollywood budget; and there's this 'tapes and samples' stuff which I need to get a grip on - I want it to be really stripped down little lullabies made of found sounds - hardly anything musical, that I can sing over and not over-do.


Artcrimes

I'm updating this site almost daily, sifting through my jpg's, almost finished editing me story-list thing, made a list of writer's agents in preperation.